/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Amen Break: A history

This is one of my favourite things ever discovered online. Just came across it again, by accident, and it mesmerised me anew.

Drummer or no, music geek or no... This is great history, and a great portrait of the decontextualising process that manufactures pop culture and reinvents experience into something new, and makes us question notions of authenticity, originality, piracy and creativity.

Comments on "The Amen Break: A history"

 

Anonymous The Mauritian said ... (11:50 PM) : 

Hey Professor, i was about to launch into some work but thought i'd dabble first. Twenty minutes later i still haven't done any work but i'm all the wiser. While my editor may not thank you, i shall.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:14 PM) : 

Hey Houston, I found I couldn't get the feeling that I'd heard this guys voice before out of my head. It turns out that snippets of this are sampled in Wax Taylor's Once Upon a Past from the album Hope and Sorrows. Cheers, Karen

 

Blogger Houston said ... (9:09 AM) : 

@kthull: Thanks, Karen. Had no clue. You've introduced me to a new one! --h

 

post a comment