/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm not paranoid. I just study history.

Why do I distrust the expansion of state power in the service of "security"?

Because "freedom" and "state power" are, at some point, antithetical.

Top Maryland cops ordered peace activists' names added to anti-terror and drug trafficking databases


The pull quote: "I don't believe the First Amendment is any guarantee to those who wish to disrupt the government."

...as if the very people who wrote the First Amendment weren't trying to do exactly that.

If all those people are doing is talking and peacefully protesting then, uh, that's exactly what the First Amendment is: a guarantee against the government using its power to stop or intimidate them.

..

Comments on "I'm not paranoid. I just study history."

 

post a comment