/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Dad at 70, redux

Flame-Haired Angel and I were sad, the other night, to realize we'd missed by a day the deadline for talking to my dad before he went off traveling for a month.

Then, reading Dervala's tribute to her dad at 65, I was reminded of my own dad's 70th, a few years ago. I wasn't able to be there. So, I wrote a love letter to him, and read it on videotape.

It'd been a long while since I'd thought of that letter on tape. Inspired by Dervala, I dug up the original and read it again. A smile crept up my face as I made my way down the page. I had written about being absent from his birthday party because his travels had inspired my own. And here I am, sad to be unable to call him, because he's traveling.

The love letter is here.

..

Comments on "Dad at 70, redux"

 

post a comment