/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Pointers

After getting that off my chest last night, I read this piece by John Cusack – of all people – on the way in to work this morning.

Nice timing.

He particularly nails it with this quote from that old lefty Winston Churchill:

"The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers, is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist."

Wish I'd had that to hand as I was writing my blowjob piece last night, eh?

I always fantasized Cusack would sound, in life, as he sounds in his films. If this piece is anything to go by, he might.

In addition to quoting Churchill, my favorite conservative curmudgeon, he also links to a Bill Moyers piece I like almost as much as the one I linked to a few weeks ago.

“Theology asserts propositions that cannot be proven true; ideologues hold stoutly to a worldview despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality. When ideology and theology couple, their offspring are not always bad but they are always blind.”

And Moyers is an ordained Baptist minister, mind.

Comments on "Pointers"

 

post a comment