/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Forty Years Lucky

I have been lucky since forty years ago, today.

I had parents who showed me how to love by loving me: a father who gave me every advantage, including his wisdom, and a mother who lived like experience was the only thing that mattered.

I have had friends who loved generously, forgave ungrudgingly, counseled gently, and often humoured a myopic fool.

I have had lovers who gave more than they asked for. Some, more than they should have. Some, giving up on me as a lover, still did not give up on me as a man.

In my lowest moments, I have had people who sat with me through the night, even when it was dark for weeks.

I have had mentors who invested in me selflessly.

I have traveled.

I have had new opportunities come at just the right time.


And I am lucky today.

I have my health and my hair (so far) and eyes that don't yet squint at the page.

I get to be in love every day.

My parents are both very much alive, and both very much in my life.

Friends from forever are still here with me: some, almost inexplicably.

I have work that challenges my brain, and bosses I respect.

People still take time to show me new things; I'm still learning.

I am a lucky man.

At forty, I can think of no greater fortune than to have been humbled by wonder so often, surrounded by so much love, and so seldom touched by tragedy.

* * *

Press play. With the sound up.




..

Comments on "Forty Years Lucky"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 PM) : 

I love you, Mr Spencer. Happiest of birthdays. xx

 

Blogger Suz said ... (8:33 PM) : 

Houstie! As always, giving when you should be receiving. So glad to have been a small part of your extraordinary life for the last few years. With much love, hugs and kisses, Schmooz

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

You lucky? We're lucky young man. It's great to be part of your life. Happy birthday

 

Blogger scootergrrl said ... (12:00 PM) : 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOUSTIE! :*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

Happy birthday youngster! Loads of love. M. xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 AM) : 

Happy birthday! Five weeks ahead of you on Martha's Vineyard, I can say it aint so bad being 40 when it's so good being alive and happy. Y'all must visit sometime before we really get old.

 

post a comment