/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Light my fire. Make me Shwetty.

I've been desk-bound on a personal project most of today. It's something I'm passionate about, but it's menial. So, to pass the time, I've been listening to back-broadcasts of some of my favorite National Public Radio (NPR) programs. Mostly, it's just pleasant background chatter, but the whole reason to listen to NPR isn't about what you know you'll hear as it is about being surprised by things you wouldn't have ever imagined hearing.

One of those serendipitous gems transformed my Sunday as I listened to an interview with legendary Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek. (Listen to it here.) I was only marginally interested in the segment, at first. Then, he sat at the piano and talked through the genesis of Light My Fire. It's jaw-dropping right off the bat, starting with the revelation that the hit was guitarist Robby Krieger's first-ever attempt at songwriting. From there through Sonny & Cher, Coltrane and Bach, the evolution of one of the most penetrating songs in rock history is simply fascinating stuff, whether or not you've ever played an instrument or care a whit about the Lizard King.


And, if you've never experienced NPR, below is an infamous Saturday Night Live parody sending up NPR programming. That's Alec Baldwin offering an object lesson in how to take a stupid joke so far that it becomes irresistable.



..

Comments on "Light my fire. Make me Shwetty."

 

post a comment