/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Making sure judges make only popular decisions

A couple of years ago, I told a visiting American friend that, despite all else that was wrong with American politics, the thing that worried me most pressingly was the moves I saw to vilify the judiciary. What with the Schiavo case and all the fire-breating foomph about "activist judges".

He felt strongly that I was being alarmist. That both the Constitutional separation of powers and the reasonableness of the American people -- admittedly demonstrated in the Schiavo case -- would make the issue a non-starter.

I wish he'd been right, and I could eat my humble pie in peace, but there's a din in my ears. It's the sound of those trying to oust judges and make them subservient to the same populist mechanics as politicians.

See this Slate op-ed piece for a view on the threats to an independent judiciary: Bench-Clearing Brawl.

Popular decisions are super. Justice, however unpopular, is better.

(Illustration: The Spanish movie poster for "On the Waterfront". Read the article to see why.)

..

Comments on "Making sure judges make only popular decisions"

 

post a comment