/***********************************************/ /* HEADER */

It's a fine line between living for the moment and being a sociopath.

Patricia B McConnell: For The Love Of A Dog.

Pema Chodron: The Places That Scare You

Daniel Wallace: Mr Sebastian & the Negro Magician



All paths lead to the same goal: to convey to others what we are. --Pablo Neruda

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Dirty dead letter office

I sent a recent e-mail spam to friends and family. Every time I do that, there are a few bounces and kick-backs: dead e-mail addresses and the like. “Your message did not reach the intended recipient.” “Unknown domain or host name.” That kind of thing.

This time, one amused me:
Subject: IMSS has deleted a message

“The message you sent contains a word which the receiving email system has
blocked. Your message has NOT been delivered to the intended
recipient.”
Great.

This stealthy message hides from me both the intended recipient and the offending word. Not only don’t I know who didn’t receive my e-mail, but I don’t even know why.

As it happens, it was pretty easy to figure out the offending word. (I had described my writing as “textual masturbation”.) But I still haven’t a clue about who was the lucky person protected by this vigilant spam filter.

One of my friends is out there, right now, thinking, “Why doesn’t that bastard ever write to me anymore?”

Comments on "Dirty dead letter office"

 

post a comment